Now Playing Tracks

Hommus Express closes :/

Oh noooooo! Now I’ll need to find a new place to get thanksgiving dinner this year. I’ve been going to this business for thanksgiving since I moved to Michigan.

The food was good, but at no point did I ever considered it to be “express”. It reminded me of Al’s Wait and Eat from the TV show Reboot. Sometimes I’d usually wait 30 minutes for my “express” food. :/

Getting Started with Intel Galileo: Session 2

Just had an awesome discussion with some other makers and folks from Intel about the Intel Galileo. You can see me in the stream above discussing some of the projects that I discuss on this blog.

I’ve had two of my friends comment on my eyebrows so far. Apparently they are “epic.” I also noticed that I move quite a bit when I talk. Weird.

Getting started with Galileo

In playing with my Intel Galileo I had what appeared to be a common list of desired functionality and also questions surrounding it. This post is a compilation of what I’ve explored.

User Error:
On my 4th or 5th time using the Galileo I accidentally plugged USB into the USB Host port instead of the USB client port. Windows picks it up but doesn’t install drivers or assign a com port. On Linux, nothing shows up in DMESG. That was my first clue that somehow I messed up.

Windows Arduno Mode:
The Intel Arduino interface works but I’ve needed to re-install the Intel driver several times. Not sure what causes it but occasionally it will only show up as Gadget Serial without a driver installed. I’m plugging it into the same port every time I use it. Occasionally restarting the PC or the Arduino functionality fixes this but it’s not perfect. 

Ubuntu - No serial port selection is shown. Fail. My normal Arduino board works fine. I must need to be in a slightly different group for the Galileo. If I run as root then it can see the device on /dev/ttyACM0. My Arduino shows up on the same device though. I’m in the serial, dialout, tty and uucp groups and it still doesn’t seem to work.

Additionally, if you don’t select the port in the interface on Linux it defaults to COM1. You can press upload but at the end you will see it says Transfer Incomplete and a bunch of “ZNAK” errors. Selecting the right port (in my case /dev/ttyACM0) fixed the issue.

Setting up simple Telnet over Ethernet:
Run the following code from the Arduino substituting your IP address range.

void setup() {
system(“telnetd -l /bin/sh”);
system(“ifconfig eth0 netmask up”);

void loop() {
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly: 

Next, telnet into the device. In my case I just ran putty or telnet to

Controlling Pins from Linux:

Testing Ethernet from Arduino:
The built in Ethernet sketches should work out of the box. My local network won’t let the device connect out to the internet but changing the server in the WebClient example showed that with Ethernet initialized the board just worked as if I had an Ethernet shield installed.

Setting up the fat Linux distro:
Download the non-small version from Intel’s website. Unzip and go down one directory. Put the files located there on the SD card to get it to work. You’ll need to have this working for the Wifi card to work.

Setting up a miniPCI-e Wifi Card:
Assuming that the fat Linux distro is setup and you have an approved, supported wifi card, the OS should pick it up. You can check by typing dmesg in a telnet session and looking for the card being detected. I’m using the Centrino N-135 half height card. The Wifi Card works with Arduino’s Wifi library so we can use a simple wifi script to try it out. BIngo it works.

Once the wifi card has been upped using the Arduino Sketch and you started telnet (sketch above), you can then use Telnet over the wifi.

Creating a simple web enabled app:
We can modify the wifi or ethernet scripts that when data is pulled we react in some day. My first thought was to connect an LED and react when I have a connection. Simple to do as trusty PIN 13 is an LED. Once that was established I moved to port my interactive array of LEDs to run on the Galileo. I’ll post scripts about how to do this in the next week.

Shamrock Cookie Cutter

Sometimes I forget about things I’ve done in the past. Two years ago I made a program to make cookie cutters and shared it. I used it for gifts, for gags, and for cookies shaped like myself. Just this evening I got a notification that someone had modified it, re-shared it and was making more awesome things with a derivative of the software.

YAY! Overgrownasian just made my evening. :D

The Lives of Others

Good Idea: Putting a movie on in the background while trying to work.

Bad Idea: Putting a subtitled movie on in the background while trying to work.

I got about 30 minutes into the film before I got curious that I hadn’t heard any dialog. My brain was totally tuning out the German. I’ll have to save this film for another evening.

To Tumblr, Love Pixel Union